Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Jewelry Appraisal Details

Unfortunately we get questions from clients where they have been mis-informed in the first place. This is due to a general state of apathy from sellers who once they have taken someone's money - loose sight of the 'Keep the Client Happy' mentality. Shame.

QUESTION..?

Could you give me a ball park appraisal on a pendant. Particulars are:

4.35 oval tanzanite clarity SI3-I2 color h-k
diamonds 10 round & 68 Baguette cut 1.25 CWT
Gold 5.4 grams (white gold).

It has a 14K 20" chain which I have seen priced at about $175-$200 retail.

A buddy of mine is selling this and is asking for $950.00. What do you think?


ANSWER..!

G'day and many thanks for your query

Firstly it is illegal for me to give an appraisal on an item I cannot see, feel, measure or touch. You can - but I can't (read this excellent article on appraisals).

Also you mentioned it is a Tanzanite which you then state is a clarity of SI3-I2 (there is no such thing because this type of clarification is for Diamond and doesn't apply to any other gem PLUS it can't be an SI (slight Inclusion) AND I (imperfect) at the same time?

The color too is all wrong (again only for diamond) being h-k. Which one is it? H - I - J - K (as you see there are four colors here - so it can't be H-K.

I don't know where you got these figures but you need to recheck them.

You can do an appraisal yourself online at the Jewelry Appraisal Center at http://www.online-jewelry-appraisals.com for a fairly modest fee ($14.95) but you will need to get the stats correct.

Hope this helps...

No comments: