Monday, August 07, 2006

Fleur d'lys Hallmark on gold ring

There are more and more Hallmark questions popping up every day and I have been asked about this particular one several times. Maybe you have an item with a similar mark. If so we would be delighted to hear from you with any comments.

QUESTION..?

I just received a ring that has the following markings on the inside of the ring:

a fleur de lis symbol/585/another fleur de lis symbol. I hope you have some insight. My web searches have given me no help! Thanks for your time

ANSWER..!

Ohh - But you've picked a doozy...

The fleur d'lys (fleur de lis) while being a French symbol, was seen during the Huguenot silver makers periods but is not an official French Hallmark (but you'd think so).

It has been used by every man and his dog though, and occasionally has been seen on Austrian items and Czechoslovakian or Hungary or Italy or Denmark and Germany.

Phew!

Even the British Hallmarks have been seen with this mark. American Maker's Marks also show the fleur d'lys in their design.

The 585 is the decimal standard for 14ct gold which would bring me back to Europe. You didn't mention where you live or how or where you got the item - which would help you.

Sorry I can't be more specific - but as I said - it's a doozy...

There is a free UK British Hallmarking course available at Jewelry Antiques.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, I recently purchased an antique gold band ring, and I have searched everywhere trying to find out about the hallmark/stamp on the inside of the band. The initials are J.W. which I am assuming are the initials of the maker, but I am not sure of the second box, 18.oo with a line under the zeros(almost like currency). I had the ring acid tested and it is 18k but the hallmark was unfamiliar to me and everyone else I have asked. I really hope you can help end this mystery. can email pic.