Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Continue Hallmarking Questions

14K B

Question: Hi ,David:

A lady asked another expert a question about what 14K B was. But I think they were not available at this time, so I seek help from you.

I also have the same experience like that lady.

My father in law gave me this silver like necklace which was clearly marked 14K B and not 14k P.

I thought it was 14K brass or something. Could you please tell me what exactly metal it is?

Answer:

G'day and many thanks for your query

Not much to go on for maker's marks but I suspect the item is simply marked with a 'B' for 'Base Metal'

Naturally I can't see, feel, weigh, test ot touch the item, but I have come across this myself over the past 35 years in the business.

It may be 14 Karat gold plated over a Base metal. Try a child's magnet and see if it jumps onto the magnet.

This test is NOT absolute of course, because it could be copper underneath - which is also NON MAGNETIC. But if it does react - it certainly isn't gold.

There are some great gold testing methods explained at the Antique 20th Century Jewelry site or you might like to try the Jewelry Hints Tips and Reviews Blog for poible answers. They are a fairly new site but seem to be getting a bit of a reputation on the web.

Hope this helps.

No comments: