Friday, June 30, 2006

Help with a Gold Cuff Link?

In my usual capacity of answering questions, here is one worthy of note, not because of any major conclusion but because of the suggestion right at the end...

QUESTION..?

I have one gold cuff link which belonged to my late father. He would have been given it around 1950-1953. The markings on the back are as follows:- The first marking looks like a bird or a bell (not sure) followed by 9 375 (which I believe means 9 ct. then followed by "E". It also has the name PROUD (Probably the name of the Jewellery store).

Are you able to shed any light on the markings and possible year it was made. Many thanks

ANSWER..!

I don't know where you live or where your Father lived when he received the cufflinks in the first place, but the marks are certainly British (or colonies)...

You are correct in the 9 375 means 9ct (the 375 is the decimal code for 9ct gold).

The nearest date letter would have been 1954 for the date 'E' but the assay office would be an 'Anchor' mark for Birmingham.

PROUD is the name of an Australian Jewellery Store, but again I don't know if there is any connection. The Bell or Bird is a puzzle...

Hope this helps, and might I suggest you get your local Jeweler to convert it to a very attractive Pendant.

You can get a FREE Hallmarking Course at 20th Century Jewelry Antiques

No comments: